||Visit to California:
We were blessed to be able to be in California to watch our son, Stephen, graduate last month! Though the month went by very quickly we were able to spend precious time with our family and so many of our church family and friends. It was just wonderful to have the opportunity to meet with so many of you and share what God is doing here in Japan.
The sunshine was a real treat since it has been raining almost non-stop since we returned!
On the Front lines:
As expected, we hit the ground running upon our return to Japan. In the midst of preparations for Vacation Bible School, and regular school in the fall, there was a major earthquake just to the north of us. So, the pace has picked up drastically in order to get CRASH assessment and volunteer teams coordinated and sent in to the area to help.
Last week there was a 6.8 earthquake on the north west coast of Japan. It was centered near Niigata, the same area that experienced a major quake in 2004. There were hundreds of injuries and several thousand have lost their homes and are currently living in shelters. We have sent an advance/assessment team to set up and coordinate a volunteer center at a Christian campground that also received a lot of damage. Please pray for the CRASH ministry as we coordinate and send teams in to the area over the next several weeks and especially that we can be an effective help and witness to this quake weary community.
Vacation Bible School begins July 30th and we are excited about this great opportunity to share the gospel with children and their parents around our community. As this is one of our biggest evangelical outreaches, please pray for all the leaders and helpers as they continue to prepare and also pray for God to bring many children to participate and learn about Jesus’ love for them.
- We were able to be at our son’s graduation and to have refreshing visits with family and friends.
- Many people have come together to volunteer with CRASH at the earthquake sight.
- Pray for the CRASH team to be able to minister hope and love along with meeting the physical needs of the earthquake victims.
- Pray for VBS preparations to go well and for the hearts of the children who participate to receive the gospel of salvation.
- Pray for us as we continue to face personal spiritual battles, that God would always give us His perspective, understanding and Grace.